Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney Legend Blaine Gibson has passed away

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney Legend Blaine Gibson has passed away

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Disney Legend Blaine Gibson has passed away Reply with quote

Quote:
ARL: Animation Research Library

We are sad to learn of the passing today of Disney Legend, Blaine Gibson. (Thanks to Disney Historian, Didier Ghez, for sharing the news with us.) Blaine is pictured at the ARL in 2008 with fellow Disney Legend, Floyd Norman.

Born the 11th of February 1918, in Rocky Ford, Colorado, Blaine attended Colorado University, but left school to join The Walt Disney Studios in 1939. While working as an in-between artist and assistant animator, he took evening classes in sculpture at Pasadena City College and studied with a private instructor. Among his animation credits are FANTASIA, BAMBI, SONG OF THE SOUTH, ALICE IN WONDERLAND, PETER PAN, SLEEPING BEAUTY, and ONE HUNDRED AND ONE DALMATIANS.

After animating all day, Blaine would go home at night and sculpt; it had been a favorite hobby of his since childhood. Then, in 1954, Walt Disney happened to see one of Blaine’s art exhibits, which featured several animal sculptures, and recruited him to work on special projects for his new theme park, Disneyland.

After nearly 45 years with The Walt Disney Company, Blaine retired in 1983. In 1993, the same year he was named a Disney Legend, Blaine created a life-size bronze of Walt and Mickey Mouse standing hand-in-hand. The statue, called “Partners,” is located at the Central Hub in Disneyland and at Disney parks around the world. Blaine subsequently created a life-size bronze of Roy O. Disney—Company co-founder and brother of Walt—for display in Disney theme parks.

(Thanks to D23.com, for the biographical excerpts.)

https://www.facebook.com/DisneyARL/photos/a.425940156130.220527.59443391130/10153315301606131/?type=1&fref=nf

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201507/4646/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ThemeParkInsider+%28Theme+Park+Insider%29
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad and another loss for the Disney community. Sad

bison74
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've been through these boards, and this is the first I'm coming across this. In the past year, I've been so distracted that somehow this news missed me.

I had the pleasure of spending an hour with Mr. Gibson many years back as part of a charity event my wife and I attended. He told stories of what it was like working for (and with) Walt Disney, as well as the many trials and travails of designing vehicles for the parks.

That day, I also met Sam McKim (who I know also passed a few years ago). It's such a shame when these great minds pass along. While it's much belated, I wish the best for his family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: