its a small world teleport
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - EPCOT - China? (long rambling post)

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

EPCOT - China? (long rambling post)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney International Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbohn
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: EPCOT - China? (long rambling post) Reply with quote

I heard a piece on NPR today about how China is trying to update Bejing. They're basically buying off old residential property (most of which doesn't have heat or plumbing), and encouraging people to move into brand new, high rise apartments that are designed by hot young architects.

This seems like it could be a great opportunity for Disney to build a real EPCOT as Walt intended. Consider . . .

1) The Disney brand is well known and trusted to the government of China (see Hong Kong and Shanghi Disneylands).

2) There is a large number of young wealthy individuals in China.

3) Disney has a wealth of experience in terms of urban planning.

4) The Chinese government could probably give Disney the freedom they'd need to build what they want.

Imagine a 'future city' with a hotel wing, a retail wing, and a residential wing (all using modular construction), connected by Peoplemovers. Imagine a central mall that could connect to other similar complexes / airports, etc. via subway or (better yet) monorail. Imagine a design that would incorporate solar panels or roof top gardening, as well as windmills. Imagine the sort of intelligent utility design that Reedy Creek is known for.

As a teenager, I always thought how cool it would be to live in a real EPCOT. Now that I'm older, I believe that such a project would probably be doomed to failure in the US. I believe that because Americans (myself included) put a large amount of value on space and individuality. A true EPCOT project would probably involve small plot sizes as well as strong control of design, particularly in terms of landscaping. Most Americans wouldn't go for these sort of controls.

However, such issues wouldn't be an issue in China. Such a project would be a great opportunity for Disney, and would allow them to shop similar designs around the world to other high density, affluent areas that would be looking for such efficient, [hopefully] green designs. [I'm looking at you UAB - United Arab Emerites] After several such complexes are built around the world, perhaps America would be willing to look at such innovative approaches to Urban planning.

The Eisner years got Disney thinking about building lots of small, inexpensive projects, which were probably smart in terms of a bottom line, but weren't particularly impressive or innovative. It is time for big thinking again.[/i]
kraysister
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unfortunate flip side is that there are the people who are living in those buildings now (yup, w/out heat or plumbing in many cases) & where are they being moved to? They certainly can't afford to live in a brand new high rise apartment.
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. Really, I just don't.

I know I'd rather have the parks built up Stateside...and see them become a greater draw for foreign visitors to increase revenue.

As far as Shanghai...I've only seen rumors and "reports of"...not that it won't happen...but it has been rumor for years.

I have had the stance that putting Disney Parks all over the globe will detract from their uniqueness and in the end dilute the brand. If they want to spread...maybe a project like you mentioned is the way to go.

: )
jbohn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraysister; Apparently the Chinese government is paying to relocate these individuals. Though I am doubtful myself.

onecutemoose: I wasn't really thinking of a park, but regardless, it is wild speculation, and pretty far off base (on my behalf).
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbohn wrote:
kraysister; Apparently the Chinese government is paying to relocate these individuals. Though I am doubtful myself.

onecutemoose: I wasn't really thinking of a park, but regardless, it is wild speculation, and pretty far off base (on my behalf).

But always fun to dream up new things...right??
Smile

You obviously made my gears turn a bit!

: )
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting idea, but China is not the country I'd want to get into city planning with.

One difference with a city and a theme park is it is a lot easier for a country to justify taking a city away from a private owner and giving it to themselves. Sort of like so many of the Central American countries are doing with oil company resources.
jbohn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume that China would take over ownership after completion of the construction. Disney only partially owns Hong Kong Disneyland, which they co-own with the government of Hong Kong.
MikeA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Walt's dream of EPCOT happen here in the USA, but I'm fairly certain that even if they could get around all the hurdles that todays government beauracracy would impose, I doubt that Disney Executives would have the guts to do it.

So maybe a "test city" in China would be cool to see.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbohn wrote:
I would assume that China would take over ownership after completion of the construction. Disney only partially owns Hong Kong Disneyland, which they co-own with the government of Hong Kong.

Exactly. So Disney invests all the money to have it taken away from them... And then if any Humanitarian rights issues arise, folks will bash Disney for it say they "Enabled" them to do it.

I'm all for a real Epcot. But there have to be better places than China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney International Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: