Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Hong Kong Disneyland Expansion

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Hong Kong Disneyland Expansion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney International Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Hong Kong Disneyland Expansion Reply with quote

You may or not have read about it earlier, but Disney has announced a massive expansion program for HKDL, which will almost double the size of the park. Until recently, little was know about what will actually be included in the expansion, but some details have recently come out:

You can read the details and view concept photos over at this post at Disney and More Blog

The expansion will include three new lands, 30 attractions/entertainment spots, and will add inrease the physical size of the park by nearly 25%.

But what may be the most interesting item in the whole article is this part:

Mystic Point

Mystic Point is the site of mysterious forces and supernatural events in the heart of a dense, uncharted rain forest.

In Mystic Manor, home to an eccentric world traveler and adventurer and his collection of exotic international artifacts, strange things are afoot as an enchanted music box releases its magical powers, thanks to a mischievous monkey.

Key Technology and Creative Elements
• Inside Mystic Manor, a trackless ride system enables vehicles to move “freely” about the attraction as the story unfolds. Audio-AnimatronicĀ® figures and special visual and audio effects help tell the story of mystical phenomena.
• Within Mystic Point lies a beautiful garden full of relics and mythological figures, where guests discover a hidden world of illusions and mysteries that trick the eye.
• Guests can dine at the Adventurer’s Club amid a vast collection of unusual artifacts from around the world or purchase exclusive curiosities and collectibles at the Archive Shop.

Sounds like they are going to add a resturant named and based off of our beloved AdvClub... If this true, this could be good news or very bad news for our AdvClub. The bad is that Disney will gut our AdvClub and reuse everything at HKDL. I think this would leave no room for any sort of resurrection of the AdvClub here.

The good would be that Disney builds a new one from scratch and figures out that an AdvClub dinner-theater concept would work and rebuild the AdvClub the same way here. BTW, this is what I've suggested and discussed ever since the club "closed"...
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few things...

Looks like Grizzly trail is a mix of thunder railroad, everest and grizzly peak.

Looks like they are happy to have the train now go through the land and build "outside the berm" something they hide in Florida.

I'm not impressed with the parachute ride. appears to be nothing more than the traditional carny ride with a paint job. Disney can do better. Heck let the guests ride to the top in an old bomber plane, then let them jump from there. Wouldnot be much to add a plane shape elevator to get folks to top of ride, and would be faster hauling empty chutes to top than hauling full ones.

The mystic seems like a mix of adventurers club with the HM. I like the idea of the new house, but wonder why they did not do this and traditional HM.

Overall this looks like great fun for HKDL. Almost makes me want to go there.
CTKnight3
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the improvements this park will still be awfully tiny. Hong Kong is investing 5 billion and Disney 450 million? Makes me wonder if they don't mind if Hong Kong fails after Shanghai is opened.

The Mystic Manor sounds like an improved Haunted Mansion with the older idea of the Museum of the Weird finally getting built as well.

Grizzly sounds like it will be quite nice. So, how much of these new ideas can they move to the US is they work?
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine what the $450 million would have brought to WDW???? Still not sure the appeal of HKDL ??? WDW is your cash cow!!!! Milk that bad boy for all its worth.... !

$450 million..... We could bring back horizons, Mr Toad..... make space mountain BETTER THAN DL version,

or better yet..... BEASTLY KINGDOM could be started............... Wink
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this post, the site shows concept artwork and land posters for the new additions. I am really scared about the Toy Story Land, it looks like a the attraction are just standard amusement park rides redressed. You would have thought that Disney would have learned their lesson about these types of attractions (aren't they changing DCA because of it)!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
Check out this post, the site shows concept artwork and land posters for the new additions. I am really scared about the Toy Story Land, it looks like a the attraction are just standard amusement park rides redressed. You would have thought that Disney would have learned their lesson about these types of attractions (aren't they changing DCA because of it)!

didn't seem to mind when they did that for that "Chester and Hester" debacle they have in Animla Kingdom... When is that abomination going to be removed.

Mind the other two lands look like a lot of fun... but Toy Story land.... Glad HK is getting it and not us
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney and More has a follow up of the D23 presentation regarding the Kong Kong Expansion. This specific post discusses Mystic Manor and has a ton of amazing concept artwork... Lemme just say this, if this attraction is anything like the concepts, it is going to be AMAZING!

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/09/d23-expo-special-report-hong-kong.html
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

Ok. Mystic Manor sounds incredible!
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got to see the models and such for Mystic Manor, but it really saddens me since in order for us to have Mystic Manor, we loose the Adventurers Club (most, if not all the stuff from The Club is going to Hong Kong to be used on the attraction.

I have pictures at home, I'll put them up tonight.

I'm not sure if this is in the article, but the reason for a "Museum Of the Weird" type attraction rather than a "ghost host" attraction is because ghosts don't translate well in China. Interesting!

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does not surprise me.
Sounds like HK is getting a wonderful attraction. They could replicate this in Adventureland (may have to change the music room....) ... (Although I still like the old idea of a ride in a volcano in Adventure land
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney has broken ground on the expansion ares: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-12/13/content_12641753.htm

What is interesting to note, the article states this: The Grizzly Gulch and the Mystic Point will be "exclusive for the five years after their openings", and the Toy Story Land will be exclusive in Asia.

Sounds like Disney already has plans to export lands/attractions from Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point to other parks. The sad thing is with Haunted Mansion at WDW and DLR, I doubt we would ever see Mystic Manor... BUT there is a sliver that we could see the return of the Adventurer's Club (as the restaurant attraction from Mystic Point)...
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all the talk of shanghai and also potential for Australia, they could well replicate this in other wares, and we would never see it. There is lots in Disney Seas I'd love to see replicated here.
CTKnight3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Australia and China...Complete AK and then build us DisneySea here in Florida!

Most importantly though, Complete AK
alsirrap
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only stand to reason that this would happen. That's how it happens with all the Disney parks. I remember when Disney MGM was concidered a joke with how small it was. Even WDW Magic Kingdom had much less when it opened. On my first trip in 1972 there was mo POTC , no Carousel of Progress and of course no Space Mtn. I've never been to any park outside the US, but hopefully that's going to happen one day. Tokyo's Disney's Seas is the one everybody is talking about now. Nothing but great things have I heard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney International Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: