Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - La Cantina de San Angel Review

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

La Cantina de San Angel Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney Dining
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: La Cantina de San Angel Review Reply with quote

Hi all! I was at MK and Epcot for the morning and early afternoon on Saturday and stopped by La Cantina de San Angel for lunch to give it a try. My review is here: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/09/19/guest-review-la-cantina-de-san-angel/

Anyone else try it or planning on going soon?
pugmalion1
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: La Cantina de San Angel Review Reply with quote

sarah91182 wrote:
Hi all! I was at MK and Epcot for the morning and early afternoon on Saturday and stopped by La Cantina de San Angel for lunch to give it a try. My review is here: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/09/19/guest-review-la-cantina-de-san-angel/

Ah, so that's you? I read that review on the blog the other day. Good job! I found it very informative, and I'm really glad you took a pic of the apple soda. I was curious as to what it looked like.

We'll probably be stopping in there to try out the margaritas when we're there in November, but we don't really have room to fit in a meal there. Next time around, I guess.
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real gripes I have heard about the place so far have been that the prices were raised since it is/will be a popular place to get dinner during Illuminations.

Oh and in regards to Churros, anything you get at Disney World/any theme park is a precooked, frozen, reheated version and is nowhere near as good as the real thing made with a pastry bag. Very Happy
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: La Cantina de San Angel Review Reply with quote

pugmalion1 wrote:
sarah91182 wrote:

Ah, so that's you? I read that review on the blog the other day. Good job! I found it very informative, and I'm really glad you took a pic of the apple soda. I was curious as to what it looked like.

We'll probably be stopping in there to try out the margaritas when we're there in November, but we don't really have room to fit in a meal there. Next time around, I guess.

Yup, that's me! I bought the Strawberry Margarita at the Margarita stand across the way. I still have to research the flavors they sell at La Cantina!
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizzard419 wrote:
The only real gripes I have heard about the place so far have been that the prices were raised since it is/will be a popular place to get dinner during Illuminations.

Oh and in regards to Churros, anything you get at Disney World/any theme park is a precooked, frozen, reheated version and is nowhere near as good as the real thing made with a pastry bag. Very Happy

Yes, the prices are high in my opinion for both counter and table service, and I agree that it will be a VERY popular place for Illuminations. The table I had outside for lunch would have been a perfect place to watch the show.

Regarding the "fresh from frozen" aspect/premanufactured/homogenization of products at Disney, it's been a topic of discussion over on the blog recently. I think it was the dinner rolls that ignited that fire.

At least they make the corn tortillas fresh (at least for now). I need to make churros at home from scratch sometime - I was watching some show on tv last night what was showing them being made fresh and they looked tasty!
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a given that Disney or any other resturant would use pre-prepared foodstuffs in instances where they can get away with it.

Though the frozen bread rolls is surprising since they have a bakeshop on site, but I guess that might only be there to produce pastry.

With Tortillas, it really doesn't matter if they make them from scratch/mix vs pre made, the contents are exactly the same. The only real difference is that the hand made ones won't be perfectly shaped. It's still just a mix of corn, lye, water, and salt. Very Happy
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During lunch today I was thinking about your comments on the salt level. I wonder if they switched production from cooking stuff there to simply reheating. A lot of american tex mex fare that is slow cooked, stewed, etc. and served in a fast food/quick service place is cooked off-site in bags and reheated at the point of service. By virtue of the cooking the recipies might be too salty for some while others they are not salty enough, etc.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizzard419 wrote:
It's a given that Disney or any other resturant would use pre-prepared foodstuffs in instances where they can get away with it.

Though the frozen bread rolls is surprising since they have a bakeshop on site, but I guess that might only be there to produce pastry.

With Tortillas, it really doesn't matter if they make them from scratch/mix vs pre made, the contents are exactly the same. The only real difference is that the hand made ones won't be perfectly shaped. It's still just a mix of corn, lye, water, and salt. Very Happy

With Disney's volume, using frozen items is necessity. I'm sure many restaurants still serve "homemade" bread, but I've noticed most places that offer bread/rolls have been using the frozen ones you bake that you can get at the grocer.

Their tortillas were pretty uniform and round. I wonder if they weigh out the mixture, roll it into a sphere and place on a tortilla press, which squishes them down nicely into a circle, or roll out a sheet and use a circular cookie cutter/roller.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizzard419 wrote:
During lunch today I was thinking about your comments on the salt level. I wonder if they switched production from cooking stuff there to simply reheating. A lot of american tex mex fare that is slow cooked, stewed, etc. and served in a fast food/quick service place is cooked off-site in bags and reheated at the point of service. By virtue of the cooking the recipies might be too salty for some while others they are not salty enough, etc.

Good point, but I'm willing to taste again for comparison if someone else orders them. I want to try the empanadas next! I worked in a pizza place years back, and the only thing we made from scratch was the dough. With the exception of fresh veg and deli meats, everything else came from a box, can or tub. I've made peace with that fact about most restaurants long ago (have you ever seen Wendy’s Frosty bag’o’mix being poured into the machine?).

But of course, Disney will be held to a higher standard. I understand they cut corners for cost-saving measures, especially with the free dining promos they offer (don’t get me started). I expect good food at the majority of eateries on property. I expect excellent food and service at the signature restaurants. I had a good experience at La Cantina overall, and will return. If the cooked and preshredded meat was from a bag, I wonder if they add anything to doctor it up. A slip up could have occurred there. Unless I tour the kitchen and see the practices, I won’t know for sure. Ooh, that would be an excellent behind the scenes tour offering!

As of this post, Tangierine Café is my favorite counter service on all of property. And I’ll mention this about their couscous; they may have some kind of premade seasoned mix (although I do not know for sure – may very well be plain couscous), but they certainly add seasoning to it. I’ve had it on numerous occasions, and about 3 experiences back, it were VERY heavy on the cinnamon.
Wizzard419
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually with pre cooked fillings and so forth, they aren't touched in any way as that is the exact flavor/texture/etc. that a company would want (large company like Disney). If it's a small place that uses sysco or whatever, then they might reseason it so they can make it sort of unique to their establishment.

It isn't even really a quality pitfall as you can use high quality products to make it, they just went for consistency.

My guess with the wall of salt was that people tasted just a bite and had the same reaction as in the review where it was good, they gave the thumbs up and it went out as is. If they would have eaten a full meal then there would have been different reviews.

Though you should totally contact Disney about it since they won't know something isn't as expected unless they get comments.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wizzard419 wrote:
Usually with pre cooked fillings and so forth, they aren't touched in any way as that is the exact flavor/texture/etc. that a company would want (large company like Disney). If it's a small place that uses sysco or whatever, then they might reseason it so they can make it sort of unique to their establishment.

It isn't even really a quality pitfall as you can use high quality products to make it, they just went for consistency.

My guess with the wall of salt was that people tasted just a bite and had the same reaction as in the review where it was good, they gave the thumbs up and it went out as is. If they would have eaten a full meal then there would have been different reviews.

Though you should totally contact Disney about it since they won't know something isn't as expected unless they get comments.

As with any review, taste is subjective, and I did make note that I LOVE salt. I really was hoping more flavor to shine through with the dish. Next time my mom visits Orlando, I'll have to make her order it so I can take another taste, and if I still think it's heavy on the salt, then I know she'll love them! (I didn't leave my first visit to the establishment with a bad impression and a grudge to never return, so I think that is a generous win for them.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney Dining All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: