Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Midway Mania (Enough with the Pixar Characters!)

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Midway Mania (Enough with the Pixar Characters!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Midway Mania (Enough with the Pixar Characters!) Reply with quote

From Screamscape:

2008/2009 - Midway Mania - Rumor - (6/14/06) I\u2019ve been hearing rumors about a new attraction designed for California Adventure called Midway Mania, and now the rumors have spread to include a second version of the attraction under consideration for the Studios as well. From what little I\u2019ve heard about the DCA version so far was that it was to be a next-generation interactive shoot-em-up dark ride featuring several Pixar characters with a wild carnival style midway theme since it was to fit into the Paradise Pier section of the park, with an entrance right under the California Screamin\u2019 coaster itself. I\u2019m only starting to hear information about the proposed Florida version, but it sounded as if it could not only replace Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, but take over the rest of the connected sound stages as well. Earlier this season, the park VP also reported to CMs that a new family attraction would be added in 2008. At first I was thinking that it was finally time for Star Tours 2, but perhaps this is what he was talking about. Anyone know more?

Ok Love Pixar and all..but dang...Disneyland / World is quickly starting to become Pixarland....
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disney is quickly running out of source material since they haven't made a really good movie in a loooong time. I mean, I like Chicken Little and Home on the Range as much as the next person, but they're no Lion King, Aladdin, Mermaid... heck, even Hunchback.

I just wish they wouldn't shoehorn the characters into every ride like they're starting to do. The best rides have original ideas that arent' associated with one of their films - Pirates (yes, before the movie that was inspired by the ride, and then inspired the ride itself), Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DisneyDave
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree how about rides with unique characters in it... (i.e. Horizons, Adventures Through Innerspace, COP, Mission to Mars, etc...) I have high hopes that Lassiter will help this line of thinking along and not further his old PIXAR ties, into more PIXAR rides Sad

I could handle a CARS overlay to Autopia.. I am fine with that... The subs I can live with... but I Seriously hope that this Midway thing is the end for a bit.

We want/need Disney rides. Unique adventures that introduce us to new and different characters.

Come on John... kick it into gear! Cool
napabeth
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Enough with the Pixar characters. I love 'em and all, but time for something unique.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixar characters do not bother me.. Some of them I quite like. I object more to the other part of the thread. The entire concept of Midway type rides for I find abhorant. I can go to a community carnival if I want a midway and cheap rides. When I shell out for a ticket at Disnet I expect better than "Chester and Hesters" or whatever this DCA equivalent would be called. (Let alone traveling 1/2 way across the country to go to a carnival.) And theming carnival rides does not make them any less carnival rides.

Disney went from 1950's until late 1990's without these, now we are suppose to believe this is the best they can do? I thought the name was Walt Disney Imagineering, not Walt Disney Regurgitation. But that is just my opinion.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2008/2009 - Midway Mania - Semi-Confirmed - (6/21/06) It seems virtually a sure thing now that Midway Mania has been given the green light for both California Adventure and for the Studios to open in late 2008 or early 2009. The latest buzz from our insiders this week claimed that the ride may be a mix of Buzz Lightyear with Universal’s popular Spiderman dark ride, complete with 3D glasses and a large spinning car that will hold between 8-12 riders. In fact the latest article over at Mice Age talks a bit about the proposed new ride and how riders will be armed with a kind of X-Ray flashlight gun to reveal hidden animated scenes and effects. There is also reference to a new technology patent assigned to Disney that describes the effect.

Update...the attraction ride system sounds cool. Still not a fan of the overly Pixar oriented stuff being installed into the themeparks.
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i agree with the response up a bit... I think cars could make a really cool ride or attraction if done right... Lots of ideas in there!! Smile
cmwade77
Airplane Mechanic
Airplane Mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading that little bit of a description, I think done right it could work really well and give a boost to the area of the park. I just hope they design the que properly and use FastPass, unlike what they did for Monster's Inc.
LlamaLlover
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmiller15211 wrote:
Disney is quickly running out of source material since they haven't made a really good movie in a loooong time. I mean, I like Chicken Little and Home on the Range as much as the next person, but they're no Lion King, Aladdin, Mermaid... heck, even Hunchback.

I just wish they wouldn't shoehorn the characters into every ride like they're starting to do. The best rides have original ideas that arent' associated with one of their films - Pirates (yes, before the movie that was inspired by the ride, and then inspired the ride itself), Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, etc.

I agree with you kmiller15211. I remember LOVING the sub ride (I know it was associated with "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" but it was not obvious). Both Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion were amazing before the movies. Space Mountain and the Matterhorn are both favorites of mine with no movie ties.

Having some of the rides tie in with the movie themes is great but I feel that is what set Disneyland apart from some of the other theme parks is that it was more than just about Disney movies, it was about Disney magic.
ksdisneyfan
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree - enough of Pixar and enough of the "midway" theme. I don't go to Disney for carnival feel - I go for the magic Super Pixie Dust But the update description for the attraction does sound pretty cool Wink

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day..."
LlamaLlover
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right in my opinion ksdisneyfan, the ride itself sounds like it will be very unique and cutting edge. Now if we can just steer the Imagineers to something a little more original for the story we will have a winner! Wink
disneylanddude05
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck is Midway Mania supposed to be about? That's not a lot of room under California Screamin' believe me...They need to build like an Expedition Everest but with Mt. Shasta as the mountain or something in California Adventure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: