Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney's Cutting the Fat....

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney's Cutting the Fat....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney Dining
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxer76
Baggage Screener
Baggage Screener

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there should be some vegetarian/vegan resturaunts in a few hotels or at Downtown Disney. I am not a vegetarian or vegan, but I am noticing more vegetarians trying to find a good place to eat. They don't have to be big, but more and more people have these strict diets. All table service locations offer alternative meals, but I think it would be great to offer something better. Maybe a good indian or thai resturaunt? They might do really well! Just an Idea...
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knew that Disney and McDonalds did not renew their contract, but that was not the whole story. The agreement was only an "exclusivity" agreement between the two companies. Since the agreement was not renewed, Disney can go to what ever fast food company they want. Guess they still like McDonalds though...

I've read a few reports that Happy Meals state that they next round of toys will be Disney and based on the Year of a Million Dreams campaign. So I jumped over to the McDonalds site and this is confirmed:

http://www.happymeal.com/en_US/index.html#toys

To the right of the page, there is a image that says "Up Next". It features a little boy dressed as a pirate and little girl dressed as a princess.

So much for healthy food movement huh....
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
Everyone knew that Disney and McDonalds did not renew their contract, but that was not the whole story. The agreement was only an "exclusivity" agreement between the two companies. Since the agreement was not renewed, Disney can go to what ever fast food company they want. Guess they still like McDonalds though...

I've read a few reports that Happy Meals state that they next round of toys will be Disney and based on the Year of a Million Dreams campaign. So I jumped over to the McDonalds site and this is confirmed:

http://www.happymeal.com/en_US/index.html#toys

To the right of the page, there is a image that says "Up Next". It features a little boy dressed as a pirate and little girl dressed as a princess.

So much for healthy food movement huh....

Ifyou only take the toy and eat something else you can still eat healthy. Wink
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well McD does offer apples and milk as options now, like Disney started to do.
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like anything else. The heathy choices are there for adults and kids if you want them. We ate plenty of salads and fruit on the last trip, and skipped the soda in favor of bottled water.

But for the "I'm on vacation" mindset that splurges on double bacon cheeseburgers, large drinks, cheese fries and Mickey bars, and then complain how they gained X pounds on vacation...I have no sympathy.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some surprising stats about the new healthier offerings:

More parents feed their kids apples instead of fries at Disney parks
posted by Jason Garcia on Mar 10, 2009 10:47:38 AM

Whether by default or by choice, it appears Disney’s theme-park guests are opting to feed their kids healthier foods while eating in the parks.

Since Disney’s theme-park restaurants in 2006 overhauled their kids-meal menus to make healthier dishes the default selection for both side orders (ie: apple slices instead of French fries) and drinks (milk instead of soft drinks), Disney says the majority of its guests are picking the nutritious options.

According to company data, 65 percent of guests at Walt Disney World and Disneyland ordered the healthier side dish and 68 percent ordered the healthier drink last year during Disney’s fiscal fourth quarter, which runs July through September.

Guests at Disney’s international parks were even more nutritious. In Hong Kong, 98 percent chose the healthier side and 96 percent chose the healthier drink. And in Paris, 85 percent chose the healthier drink – though just 15 percent picked the healthier side.

The data were culled from 485 Disney-operated restaurants.

Source: Orlando Sentinel; http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_tourism_aviation/2009/03/more-parents-feed-their-kids-apples-instead-of-fries-at-disney-parks.html

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you can truly determine folks are "opting" to eat healthier if these are now the "default". It maybe they are just ordering the meal and either could care less about the side or don't want to be bothered changing it.

Could very well be they are making the choice, but making a "cause/effect" assessment of this based on that info seems a bit questionable.
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna and I often opt for the alternatives to fries and soda. My son chooses the fruit and milk for my grandson because that is how they eat at home. Give my grandson grapes and he is a happy boy.

I think people in general are choosing healthier options when they are offered and not necessarily by default..
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they started offering apple slices vs. fries, I've been getting the apples. Since I'm also staying away from soda and sugar drinks, I also get milk (which I really prefer anyway).

I think it's a fair assessment that people are thinking a tad healthier at meal time. But it's only a little healthy since you're still talking fried or grilled food.

daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDWFan wrote:
Not sure if you can truly determine folks are "opting" to eat healthier if these are now the "default". It maybe they are just ordering the meal and either could care less about the side or don't want to be bothered changing it.

Could very well be they are making the choice, but making a "cause/effect" assessment of this based on that info seems a bit questionable.

Fries and soda are still considered to be the defaults... typically if you order something and done say "I want apples instead of fries", you will get fries. But I have noticed more and more CMs asking "fries or apples" when they take your order...

This is just a small part of what they have done to make things healthier, they changed the frying oils to healthier blends, they use whole/multi grain breads in the buns, etc....

mrsguru and myself usually take the apples over the fries, but every once in a while I want fries.... it's good that you have the choice!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the article posted in paragraph 3 states:

"Since Disney’s theme-park restaurants in 2006 overhauled their kids-meal menus to make healthier dishes the default selection for both side orders (ie: apple slices instead of French fries) and drinks (milk instead of soft drinks),"

if the default is still fries and soda, then I would agree this indicates a change. if the default is different, then I think you have to take that change into account as well.

Personally I prefer the fruit. At least in the warmer weather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney Dining All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: