Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney Opens Weddings to Gay Couples

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney Opens Weddings to Gay Couples

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Disney Opens Weddings to Gay Couples Reply with quote

By GARY GENTILE, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - Same-sex couples who want to exchange vows in front of Cinderella's Castle now have the chance.

The Walt Disney Co. had limited its Fairy Tale Wedding program to couples with valid marriage licenses, but it is now making ceremonies at its parks available to gay couples as well.

"We believe this change is consistent with Disney's long-standing policy of welcoming every guest in an inclusive environment," Disney Parks and Resorts spokesman Donn Walker said Friday. "We want everyone who comes to celebrate a special occasion at Disney to feel welcome and respected."

The company said it made the change after being contacted by a gay couple who wanted to use the wedding service, which offers ceremonies at Disneyland in California, Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disney's cruise ships.

The service offers flowers, dining, music and many optional Disney touches, from ceremonies in front of the parks' iconic attractions to having Mickey and Minnie Mouse in formal wear as guests. The packages start at $8,000 and can cost more than $45,000.

Groups not affiliated with Disney have held annual "gay days" celebrations at Disney parks for years. Company officials have taken a tolerant attitude to the weekend, allowing party promoters to rent out parks after hours and rebuffing religious groups that condemned Disney.

In 2005, Southern Baptists ended an eight-year boycott of the Walt Disney Co. for violating "moral righteousness and traditional family values."

Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was relating this story to my friend Ben, who is gay, and the only comment he had was..."That brings new meaning to to the phrase...'Fairy' Tale wedding".....I thought that was hysterical!
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more "weddings" = more money.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with April, I think this is money related.

the article is a bit misleading. They are opening the doors to ceremonies. they can not alter the marriage laws in Florida. the article goes on to say they use to require a marriage certificate which is no longer a requirement.

But there are big bucks to be made here.
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call it what you will.
Either they are approching it with an open mind. Or approching it
with good bussiness sence.
Either way they have created a way to generate more revenue.
That is just good for bussiness no matter how you like to look
at it.
Leave it to Disney. Very Happy
fireurgunz
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aprildecember wrote:
more "weddings" = more money.

That's exactly what I said aprildecember! Disney isn't so much concerned with the politics of it as for the profit they'll recieve. After all, Walt did say Disney is for everyone. Very Happy
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, now I'm going to be back on the "bad list" at my church, well, as if I'm not already (you know, long hair, shorts to church, etc.... heh)...

Wonder if any religious organizations are going to "boycot" like the SBC did a few years ago...?
aprildecember
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha. probably. but then again, these are prolly gonna be the same groups that already blame disney for stuff like gay days, which aren't really disney's 'fault.' it's ironic, considering how many uber-Christian events are REAL, official disney happenings...
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
Great, now I'm going to be back on the "bad list" at my church, well, as if I'm not already (you know, long hair, shorts to church, etc.... heh)...

Wonder if any religious organizations are going to "boycot" like the SBC did a few years ago...?

Let them boycott. Shorter lines for the attractions.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when the SBC boycotted, it really didn't do much to effect attendance. I know hundreds of people who ignored the boycott and went anyways (um, like me and my wife)....

Those boycot things never work, it's just a way to get their names in the news and stir things up....
swarlock
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:

Count on it.

But you know what? They should spend less time worrying about the right way to get in the good graces of The High One and more time thinking outside of their narrow vision of how the world should be.

Pride goes before a fall but I digress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: