Alt Text 5
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Space Mountain

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Space Mountain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am all for this, I still think there are other attractions that could use the attention more than Space Mountain.

The bears and Country Bear are almost bare with all the fur rubbed off, the film in Star Tours is so grainy I get a better image on my old analog TV set...
me27821
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a major refurb is needed. Not something on the scale of DL, but at least dust the place out. You know in the speed tunnel (on the ride) there's big speaker boxes at the end? Has anyone noticed that? Has anyone noticed how one points foward, and the other points diagnal? Almost as if someone bumped into it during the last refurb, and left it that way. And it's been like that for at least 12 years now. That's the type of stuff that bothers me. Also, they could update the pictures in the place. Yeah the nebula's and galaxies are cool, but since Space Mountain opened, this thing called the Hubble came along. The pictures that thing takes are amazing. Just an idea. As for onboard audio, it's getting lighter and cheaper to install those systems. When new rockets come along to replace the current ones, I think they should have onboard audio, but with an on/off button for the people who like the nastalgia.
Does anyone know how long the current entrance area music has been playing in there? Does anyone know the name of the song that played on the exit ramp before fedex came along? I know you could hear words, while you were coming up that last incline, but I cant remember them. Something about blah blah blah forever. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the music in the star tunnel HAS been updated. Back in 1999 I made one of those WDW forever CDs. The one where you pick a bunch of songs, and they burn them onto a cd. I picked the 3 space mountain songs (entrance area music, star tunnel, and speed ramp), but I noticed the star tunnel on the CD was NOT the star tunnel music in the ride. The song on the cd was more of a song, and matched up with the entrance area song. What played in the star tunnel was less of a song, and it sounced much better. Then by 2003 they changed the star tunnel to the song on the cd. I never heard the speed ramp song on the ride ever. But how long has the entrance area song been playing there?
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they can find Brownie's camera when they do the referb....?

Smile
blinkereye123
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again. One of the things I've always loved about both DL and MK is the idea that even though both parks are designed basically the same there are enough subtle, (and not so subtle), differences that they keep us coming back. In the case of Space Mountain the great thing about WDW's is that it offered you more than just a thrill coaster ride. Considering that the parks as a whole are in line to be upgraded over the next few years those details could be even more worthwhile. I personally would like to see a return to the kind of pre-show/post-show that SM had in the beginning, if only to emphasize whatever new "mission" they choose to come up with. Whatever the final refurb looks like it can only improve the overall experience and definitely keep me coming back for more. Peace.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one good thing about getting our rides done last (like our HM and SM)..... The effects have been tried in other places and improved, the Imagineers know which effects work best and improved the ones that didn't work.... We also can get new effects....

From what is being said about our HM rennovation, the effects are basically the same from the DL HM, but improved and much better...

I think this is going to be the same with our Space Mountain.... they have had time to test all the proposed SFX on other SMs, so they know which ones work and which ones don't.... make improvements and even try new stuff....

Very exciting...... but I'm still not gonna ride it... Smile
me27821
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once read a rumor about this, which involved it closing soon after Haunted Mansion reopened from it's refurb. I might have even read it in this thread. Either way, it's that time. HM is reopening like, today? So, Space Mountain should be closing for the refurb very soon. That's where the rumor starts. Is it a platform/station upgrade with some railing and other stuff, or is this a major overhaul. Are they going to gut the building and put in a new ride during this upcoming refurb? Disney likes to not announce stuff. We people need to know these kinds of things. I wish I knew in the past. It would have been nice to get a chance to ride Imagination once more, before they trashed it. It would have been nice to ride World of Motion, and Horizons too. I'm not even gonna mention Mr. Toad. Well I guess I just did. But still... Am I going to have to make a last minute trip to WDW in the next few weeks or months?
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the rumors about SM referb have it closing the first part of next year..... After the busy Christmas season.....

The last few years, their Christmas season is HUGE... I read a stat somewhere that they close more often for capacity during the Christmas season then regular season....

Since it is so busy, I don't think they would close it until late Jan/Feb time frame..... That would give them 4-6 months of down time, until the regular season starts....
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cast member I spoke to said the rumor they are hearing is that it may be down for a whole year while it's gutted and a brand new coaster is installed. I can't say I'm really happy about that. I like Space Mountain as it is and have a lot of fond memories of that ride. But of course, a rumor is just that.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another rumor... there are a few different ones... They range from a complete gutting and replacement, to new loading/unloading, effects, and ride cars, to just a quick cleaning.....
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have stated before.. I Love Space Mountain as is....... A smoother track would be a nice upgrade I love the music, the comchat, maybe a few animatronics in the mission control area, Don't lose the Choc Chip Cookie tho!!!

Give the place a good cleaning and FIND MY CAMERA.... Mad
me27821
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some netting beneath the tracks too Brownie? I'm thinking a net that runs the entire lenght of the track. It would be used of course to catch falling cameras.
Brownieboy69
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sentiments exactly!!!!!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
RavenStGermaine
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownieboy69 wrote:
As I have stated before.. I Love Space Mountain as is....... A smoother track would be a nice upgrade I love the music, the comchat, maybe a few animatronics in the mission control area, Don't lose the Choc Chip Cookie tho!!!

Give the place a good cleaning and FIND MY CAMERA.... Mad

Yeah, it would be a shame not to have the cookies flying overhead! I even like waiting in line with the cheesy "space scenes" in the star tunnel.
me27821
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the RUMOR MILL section of disneyworldtrivia.com. I'm not sure how credible this site is, but the owner of this site publishes trivia books about WDW, so he seems to get some good inside dirt, for example (The Skyway building is only used as a bathroom and to house Timekeeper (sleeping forever in his wooden crate) as well as the old gondolas. It is also interesting to note that 8 of the 9 projectors for the Timekeeper Circle Vision 360 Theater are stored in a back corridor of Space Mountain. Supposedly one of them was destroyed during the removal. ). ANyway, now for the Space Mountain rumors...

Back to the Space Mountain rumors from a couple of weeks ago. Here’s some news from some “friends” of the Mountain. Space Mountain will be getting station gates, as there is currently nothing keeping people from walking (or falling) directly onto the track at the load areas. The Mountain was also open late a few nights so that the Magic Kingdom executive team as well as WDI could do ride-throughs. One thing that they did was to ride the attraction with all of the lights off (so the ONLY sources of light were the star projectors). Cast Members had to walk around and operate the ride using only flashlights. They were trying to see how the load area lights affected the visibility of the stars. They found out that the stars are much more brilliant in this scenario and that you can see more of them, however the projectors and mirrorballs stand out like a sore thumb. There is talk of them covering the load area.

Lots of talk also about adding on-board audio, although sources have also heard that the trains will be too heavy for the current track to support so they will either have to replace the current track or reinforce it somehow.

As for the time line - they have been pushing back refurbishment for years. Engineering services is saying June. Other inside sources are saying it will be pushed back to 2009. Either way, this refurbishment will be a big one and the mountain will be out of service for at least 9 months to a year.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like good news for the space mountain fans... Now to get other older attractions on the list...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: