Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - River Country, wild speculation and rumors

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

River Country, wild speculation and rumors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: River Country, wild speculation and rumors Reply with quote

Screamscape (who has been on the money lately) has some new rumors about River Country... That people are "talking" about reopening it, possibly has a PoTC themed park...

While I think this would be awesome, I think it would require a major rebuild... and I agree with Screamscape, they are going to need to work on better access to the site and parking....

Here is the original article: http://www.screamscape.com/html/walt_disney_world_resort.htm
ghost1000
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first heard the rumor of a POTC-themed water park a couple of years ago, but I believe it was intended for California (think strawberry field). But when I heard of it, the first thing I thought of was River Country.

BTW, about a year ago I received a survey from WDW asking about a Pirate's themed dinner show/event that you would have to boat to get to. The first thing I thought of was River Country.

They really need to do something with River Country (which, by the way, is where the Ye Swabs package had their dinner the first night of the Pirates event this past May).
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be cool if they did a pirate's thing on Discovery Island
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would be a great idea. And a Pirate dinner show... wonderful.

But I thought I had read somewhere that the island had a lot of problems that would have to be addressed to make usable going forwards. Both from the natural settings, the animal and plant life, but also the infrastructure. This idea could be a very good way to cost justify those improvements, add another attraction, make use of developed space, not bite into the undeveloped space.

Hope this one pans out...
me27821
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever read this?

"Who's been to a theme park that had a water park actually in it? Like Carowinds in North/South Carolina. Why not integrate something like that into Tom Sawyer Island? Sure it would anger some people at first. Just like how the idea for a flume ride in a Disney park angered some of the Imagineers. "How could a run of the mill flume ride be put in Disneyland? Disneyland is no run of the mill park." Then, a few years later, Splash Mountain opened. And Splash Mountain was an instant classic.
Or why not revisit an old idea? One that people cant seem to let go. River Country was loved by so many people, but it's been closed for over 6 years now. It's still there, in WDW, just closed. It too was outdone by newer ideas. Typhoon Lagoon, and Blizzard Beach. It makes sence to me that you could revive two loved, but dying attractions by combining them. Of course it would take time for that idea to set in, and be accepted for a Disneyland style park. After that, would it be a hit? Everyone who loved River Country, and Tom Sawyer Island could still go out to Tom Sawyer Island, and see much of the things that have always been there, just plussed, and a small water park too. They follow the same EXACT theme. River Country was based off of Tom Sawyer. And it would be isolated from the rest of the park. It's own island, where you could only come accross it intentionally. It would be nothing cheap like a waterslide tossing people into the Rivers of America, while people can watch from New Orleans Square. It could be tucked into the northern part of the island. For the Magic Kingdom, the size is about right. But not for Disneyland. For DL, it would face the same old problem. Available space. It could be done on a smaller scale than WDW on the current island. However, if the river was rerouted closer to BTMRR, a much larger River Country would fit. Disneyland has no water park yet either, like WDW does.
I could see it being done. And I could see it being done tastefully. There would be no issue of "half naked people coming from Tom Sawyer Island", as that issue would easily be resolved. A dress code would be enforced upon attempting to reboard the raft. There might be an issue of more wet people walking around, than what Splash Mountain currently provides. Then again, people seem to make an effort to dry off before getting dressed.
Since it is an island, it's already somewhat seperate from the park anyway. It would be like a sanctuary, where people can relax in the sand, or hang on for dear life as a telephone pole on a rope spins over a lake, while people are chearing hoping that you fall, and splashing water at you to help you fall (ahh memories). It seams that a lot of people miss River Country. Disney doesn't think people are willing to pay the $30 or so entry fee to reopen it. Tom Sawyer Island is in need of a pick up. Does anyone else think this is a good idea for Disneyland? Maybe it would make more sense for the Magic Kingdom?"

I posted this once in the disneyland section. Looks like it applies more to this section though. What does everyone think of this idea?
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if that would work or not.... To me there doesn't seem to be enough room at WDW's TSI...

I just don't think there is enough room, especially since they are still talking about adding Pirate's Lair to our TSI...

Also, I don't know how well the "dress code" and changing would go over with guests, not too mention how much room would be lost to changing rooms...

But hey, that's just my opinion....
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Duguru. I think merging in to the MK would be problematic. TSI is not really that large, and having folks trapsing through the park in bathing suits would in my mind be damaging to the MK atmosphere. They should be able to do somethign with River Country in the same location to bring it back to life....
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think reopening River Country would be better than TSI or expanding either of the other water parks....

The only downside is that it would require more capital than expanding.... Because they will need to do some serious rennovation and rebuilding and they need to resolve the parking problem...

They could section off parts of the exisiting parking lot or area for a new self contained parking area for River Country and then you would need to run roads... You bascially need to keep the FW guests away from RC guests and keep RC guests from going to FW...
me27821
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WDWFan wrote:
I agree with Duguru. I think merging in to the MK would be problematic. TSI is not really that large, and having folks trapsing through the park in bathing suits would in my mind be damaging to the MK atmosphere. They should be able to do somethign with River Country in the same location to bring it back to life....

Well that's where the dress code thing would come in. The dress code was more of an afterthough though, or a cure for a problem, if it did occur. I haven't even been to WDW in July when supposedly it's the hottest and most humid. So, I'm not sure if people try to walk around there half naked anyway. I know in Busch gardens, and six flags, it's seemingly accepted that women are gonna walk around in bikini tops, and see through shorts. This I'm sure would be frowned uppon in WDW, but like I said, I have no idea if people are already doing it. Anyway, as far as "half naked people from TSI", well anyone who know's the A/C running through the attractions there will realize that CLOTHES ARE GOOD. So I don't think it would be a problem. If it were, that's where the "dress code" would apply. It's simple really, shirts shorts and shoes are required to reboard the rafts. TSI's natural setting makes it a controlled envorinment. The only way someone can sneak around it is by swimming back to shore, where they will most likely be met by park staff, and paramedics (cause the water IS green afterall). And I doubt changing room space will be a problem the imagineers cant overcome. However, upon further review of the two sites (TSI and River Country), I must have been out of my mind the first time I looked at them. River Country is almost twice the size of TSI. So that settles that anyway. Unless of course they rerouted the river, and expanded the island.

Even though I like my idea (otherwise I wouldn't have posted it), I'd still rather see the current River Country reopen. It was, I'm sure, like most things that closed. A number of factors adding up. Sagging attendance, 2 better waterparks (with the same ticket price as RC I beleive), 9/11, and the biggest factor, the florida laws changing. Rumor (which CAN be proven), is that the law changed whereas public waterparks must have a municipal water supply, and not a natural source. I dont know about that though, because Weeki Wachee is still open, and they boast on their website "floridas only spring fed waterpark". So who knows.

Either way, River Country could be renovated, expanded, and reopened. I'm sure each of the imagineers already has a plan of their own. I'm not an imagineer, and I still think of stuff like that all the time. But, I've accepted the fact that RC is done, gone, and will never return. Then I came up with my idea (which was before I heard about the pirate thing coming to TSI). It made sence to me too. Considereing RC is TINY by waterpark standards these days, it can in no way compete with it's lack of slides, space, and activities. TSI, also can't compete with the other MK attractions. The park hopper is also a factor there I'm sure, as many people love to spend a half day in 2 different parks. So, this TSI/RC combination would seem to solve the diying TSI and dead RC issue. But still, an expanded river country at it's current site has WAY more potential.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see River Country re-opened, and I think the old swimming hole is still a good enduring theme that could carry it over as a third water park, if Disney is willing to make the investment it really would take to get it right.

As to the comment:

me27821 wrote:
The only way someone can sneak around it is by swimming back to shore, where they will most likely be met by park staff, and paramedics (cause the water IS green afterall).

I personally would think the gators would be more of a concern to me than the green waters. And yes, there are a few gators that have been seen around TSI, although they are small ones
me27821
Airport Engineer
Airport Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, that reminds me of "rest day" we once had in WDW. A rest day was what me and my family considered a day that was not spent in the parks. We would go once a year, for two weeks at a time. I think my aunt came up with the term rest day, and I hated them. Anyway,rest days became day where we'd end up doing some activities around the resorts. Renting surrey bikes, watermice, things like that. So one day we're wakeboarding from the Sammy Duvall place over at the Contemporary. My brother tried the wakeboarding, and couldn't get on his feet. I tried kneeboarding, and couldn't on my knees. Then we started innertubing,which was fun, even though the boat driver was a loser. We got tossed around bay lake for an hour or 2, then it was over. After that we went back out for parasailing. We went back to the spot where we were tubing, and saw aligators all over the place. I've always wondered how close I came to losing an arm,or worse, that day.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told they trap most of the bigger ones.

There is at least one in the lake at the Caribbean Beach Resort (hence the no swimming signs) and I've seen the one in the water around Tom Sawyer Island. (It was staring at a bunny, that may or may not have seen him. I didn't wait to find out.) I've been told they avoid the areas with a lot of activity.
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up with RC was great my youth at the end of summer the weekend before the last week of summer vacation we went to River County in the afternoon till closing then over to the Contemporary Hotel to play video games on the first floor till midnight then we went to to of the hotel to see the fire works from the MK man was that great. RC would be an excellent Pirate conversion in the Disney style. Expand it with more rides theme it up wow thad be great...........

Another great way to get rid of the Michael Eisner era.

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
blinkereye123
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again folks. Although I never had the opportunity to actually go to RC or the other water parks, (family, time, money, the usual things), I believe that the original RC was another Disney-inspired idea that was meant to symbolize Walt's personal vision of his 'family park'. The fact that two other water parks have become the focal point of alot of family vacations should not in any way diminish what RC brought to millions of kids who just wanted a place to cool off and relax. As for a pirates refurb while it would provide a somewhat more 'involving' time with additonal slides, chutes, etc., again the underlying attitude would be to be able to say "I wen't to Pirate's Isle instead of just having simple fun, (another by-product of the 'branding' curse). Personally from what I've seen at most tourst destinations worldwide just the AMOUNT of people who are looking for a reason to get out and do something on their vacation without feeling like their still on the clock could more than justify the reopening/upgrade of RC and other places, just give it time. Well, that's my two cents. Later, peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: