Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Name That Flower...

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Name That Flower...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Name That Flower... Reply with quote

No, this is not a Game Show...it's an actual question. Kim and I were driving down a local street and came across a house with this flowering bush. We have never seen flowers sooooo big in the Mid-West before. The flowers grow up to a foot in diameter....

Would anyone possibly have any idea what these are, and what they're called?

for a larger version Go Herehttp://www.freewebs.com/uabcollection/graphics.htm

any help would be appreciated...As I mentioned...this is not a contest, and no prizes will be awarded for the correct answer. Simply our undying thanks, and possibly an over-night stay in our Bed and Breakfast (if we ever open one)....

Thanks Kids!!
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be some sort of clematis. I'm no gardener, but people use clematis all the time here in Atl - especially around mailboxes - it grows quickly and flowers constantly through the warm months.
GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question is to find out if the house was built on an old landfill. Wink

This would explain the large size of the flower and the about of flower. Smile

But with my expert gardening skills I would say they are pink flowers. Wink
wdwaddict
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Hibiscus plant I just bought some for my yard. The flower is amazing the size and colors. We got one that is orange with a pink center and a dark yellow one. But be careful if you buy one cause some are fiine to plant in the garden but some varieties have to be brought in during the fall and winter. Unfortunately I got the type you have to bring in during the cold months and like you Ellory we live in Illinois so our basement will be a garden from october to april. Just hope my dogs leave them alone!!

-Jason-
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrumpyDaddy wrote:
First question is to find out if the house was built on an old landfill. Wink

This would explain the large size of the flower and the about of flower. Smile

But with my expert gardening skills I would say they are pink flowers. Wink

I tried to type my response to this several times, but the automated censor kept blocking it.... Razz

To Everyone else...thanks for the info...I do appreciate it!!! Very Happy

UPDATE!!:

Hibiscus Disco Belle (Hibiscus moscheutos)

Perennial. Gigantic, spectacular flowers that can reach more than 20 cm in diameter (dinner plate sized). Mix of pink and dark rose. Large, bushy plant with big leaves. 1 to 1,5 m high. Good for containers. Full sun to part shade. Start indoors as early as possible. Perennial to zone 5 and even zone 4. Give a good mulching for protection the first winter or keep plants in the garage.
Packet of 10 seeds: $1,99

Jason, when we open our Bed and Breakfast...you'll get a free weekend!! Thanks!!!
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That hibiscus looks and sounds awesome!!!! Do you know where to find the packets of seeds to buy? That would be cool to grow them from seed I have looked at plant magazines and online and have not seen the seed packets. Are you going to try to grow them?
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site I found this info on sells the seeds...go Here: http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/welcome.html

don't know what our plans are yet....we're in the process of buying a house, and probably won't get around to this until the spring....
Co-Pilot
Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the site and best of luck with house buying!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Concourse Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: