Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Disney's FastPass entering digital era

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Disney's FastPass entering digital era
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Disney's FastPass entering digital era Reply with quote

The Orlando Sentinel

Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
September 6, 2007

Walt Disney World visitors could someday order line-skipping, "FastPass" ride tickets from their cell phones or home computers, and could receive preferential treatment based on the price of their Disney accommodations, using a new technology the resort's parent company is developing.

The technology, which the Walt Disney Co. is seeking to patent, would use central computers to manage distribution of FastPass tickets throughout Disney World's four Central Florida theme parks and at Disneyland in Southern California. Such passes, which shorten the wait for theme-park rides, could be ordered and downloaded through all sorts of wired or wireless digital devices, according to the patent application filed Aug. 30.

FastPass tickets are available from kiosks placed outside popular rides such as Space Mountain in the Magic Kingdom and Soarin' in Epcot.

A Disney World official downplayed on Wednesday the FastPass ideas spelled out in the application, which is on file with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said the technology is envisioned for use in connection with all sorts of guest services, such as shopping and dining-room management.

There are no plans to change FastPass, she said.

"They are still in the very early stages of development. There's no telling where the dreams might lead," Prunty said. "We're looking at lots of ways to use interactive technology."

Ride management evolves

Still, most of the 30-page patent application deals with FastPass, spelling out an interactive, digital system in detail.

Among the ideas: How theme-park officials or customers could revise FastPass times via text messages in case something such as poor weather complicates plans.

The wait in line for the more popular Disney rides is typically more than an hour. But people who swing by early can pick up FastPass reservation tickets at a designated kiosk, which lets them return at set times and enter the ride through a shorter line.

The ideas in the patent application are an evolution of Disney's ride-line management, said Dennis Speigel, a private consultant and president of International Theme Park Services.

"It's kind of the digital-age queue line," Speigel said.

Some people -- notably single-day visitors to the giant resort's theme parks -- could be frustrated by some of the ideas in the patent paperwork, however.

'Hierarchies of access'

Disney's application openly suggests that the technology could be used to give preferential treatment to people who spend more money at the resort.

That could mean priority for the best FastPass times would go to people staying in Disney's luxury hotels, followed by those in its moderate hotels, then by those in its budget hotels, then by day visitors.

"Spending per guest at hotels can determine different hierarchies of access to Fastpass," the application states. "Thus, the more that is spent by a patron, the higher the priority can be."

Also, day visitors who send a text message request for a FastPass could have an advantage over people who don't and use a kiosk.

A means test for rides?

"That's really a bad idea," said Arlen Miller of Kissimmee, a Disney enthusiast and past president of the World Chapter of the National Fantasy Fan Club. Apparently, text-message visitors could present a coded Disney ticket or a "Key to the World" pass once they enter the park and go to a ride.

"I don't have a problem with people staying at a resort [hotel] being able to get the reservation. But I resent the fact that someone who's off-property with a cell phone or a PDA can do it and they're not even in the park," Miller said. "That's discrimination against people who aren't as financially fortunate."

There also could be privacy concerns, suggested Jim Hill, founder of JimHillMedia.com, the Disney-watching Internet site that first reported the patent application Wednesday.

The patent application notes that, once someone uses a cell phone or PDA to contact the system, the system could recognize the device and track the person around the park.

Hill wrote in his blog that the intentions behind such a use are likely fairly innocent but would inevitably raise privacy-rights questions.

The application credits three people as co-inventors behind the patent: Disney World's Gregory B. Hale, chief safety officer for all Disney parks and resorts worldwide; Kenneth W. Schweizer, of Disney World's design-and-engineering team; and Jonathan Ackley, of Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale, Calif.

Prunty said safety and security issues are among those that must be explored before any system could be set up.

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that. How Orwellian.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FastPass system already has issues and is not that effective (from what I've seen) and this is going to make it even worse...

But if they go to a pay for system, I think it is going to fall apart and be a bad move.... It would be the same thing as Universal's Express Pass, where you have to buy it to use it... I'm not up for paying $25 for Universal's, I may not be up for paying for Disney either...

If they do go to a pay system and give it free to APs, then I love IT!!

Smile
fireurgunz
Skycap
Skycap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
The FastPass system already has issues and is not that effective (from what I've seen) and this is going to make it even worse...

But if they go to a pay for system, I think it is going to fall apart and be a bad move.... It would be the same thing as Universal's Express Pass, where you have to buy it to use it... I'm not up for paying $25 for Universal's, I may not be up for paying for Disney either...

If they do go to a pay system and give it free to APs, then I love IT!!

Smile

I disagree! Every time my family and I use the Fastpasses, it has done nothing but wonders for. We've saved so much time on Splash Mountain, Space Mt, Test Track and so much more! I love it personally but I do agree they are making it more complicated for kids. Most of the time we send my little brother to get the FastPasses so this is going to make things complicated!
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fastpass system...AS IT WAS ORIGINALLY DESIGNED was supposed to work wonders...however in a world of attraction "outages" and guideline leniency, it makes the Fastpass system less efficient than it should be.

For example...if I get a fastpass for 1:00-2:00pm Theoretically, I should be not allowed on before 1 or after 2..correct? Well the reality of it is the fastpasses are taken as "Anytime after 1pm". This one issue causes a chain reaction that effects not only fastpass times, but standby load times as well....in which case people are now waiting much longer in lines and can't get another fastpass uintil a specified 45minute to 2 hour window clears (Depending on the time and demand for that attraction.

So what's a person left to do when fast passes are being given out at 11am for a 7pm return time and you can't get another fastpass until 1pm.....Efficiency is indeed lost...as now standby lines are longer and depending on the queue design (more of a problem at disneyland) you have congestion to face.

Fastpass systems should in theory work well provided that all guidelines are followed to a pretty strict degree...but unfortunately they aren't.

Attraction hourly numbers and overall efficiency have actually increased since certain attractions have done away with Fastpass systems (Haunted MAnsion, Pirates, etc)
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tE said about the guidelines is why I think the system has broken down.... Now, they will hold you to the earlier time, but the experation time never expires....

So you have a rush of people trying to use their Fastpasses at the end of the day, killing the wait time for people waiting in line....

I think the system is good and I use it all the time... it's very helpful.... But there are areas of the program that fail and fail very badly....
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daguru wrote:
The tE said about the guidelines is why I think the system has broken down.... Now, they will hold you to the earlier time, but the experation time never expires....

So you have a rush of people trying to use their Fastpasses at the end of the day, killing the wait time for people waiting in line....

I think the system is good and I use it all the time... it's very helpful.... But there are areas of the program that fail and fail very badly....

Exactly...The rush of people who return to attractions after an attraction has become operational again throws things in a whirlwind as well...They should do everything in their power to avoid huge rushes...but it seems to be an afterthought.
Parking Lot Shuttle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one here seems to be addressing what seems to me to be the single biggest issue with the patent: the hierarchy of spending to fast pass priority. This isn't fair. Walt's entire dream was to create a place that everyone was equal and could enjoy themselves, parent and child alike. Why is it fair that, for instance, just because I decide to try out Port Orleans Riverside for a change instead of going to my usual Wilderness Lodge that I don't get the same Fast Pass service?

Why should families that can't afford the Deluxe resorts be punished with lesser fast pass service? What if Disney decided that Deluxe guests get better seating at restaurants or shows? It's the same thing.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredibles wrote:
No one here seems to be addressing what seems to me to be the single biggest issue with the patent: the hierarchy of spending to fast pass priority. This isn't fair. Walt's entire dream was to create a place that everyone was equal and could enjoy themselves, parent and child alike. Why is it fair that, for instance, just because I decide to try out Port Orleans Riverside for a change instead of going to my usual Wilderness Lodge that I don't get the same Fast Pass service?

Why should families that can't afford the Deluxe resorts be punished with lesser fast pass service? What if Disney decided that Deluxe guests get better seating at restaurants or shows? It's the same thing.

I personally haven't brought it up because I don't see it as a big deal. By This I mean...I don't think that Disney would adopt a model as Universal and Six Flags has to pay more to jump the line. At least..the model wouldn't be as blatant. For years now they've given out "extras" with Fastpass capabilities (Super Fastpasses etc) to AAA package holders and other resort packages which allowed for more frequent fastpasses....but not an end all be all...yuou pay me $20 bucks more and you get priorities access to attractions....This is a sure fire way to tick people off for something that was initially given out for free.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and hope they don't introduce a hierarchy for the Fast Pass.

Another issue that I've read about would be the ability to get Fast Passes from your hotel room for the next day. I kinda have problems with this also. We already need to make dining reservations months in advance. I don't want to have to plan my day beyond food. It's one thing to make two dining reservations for a day at the park, but it is crazy to think I can plan exactly which ride I am going on at exactly 1:38 in the afternoon the next day.

What happens if everyone and their brother got their fast passes the night before? Disney would not issue any the next day. Plus, you can't tell me that everyone that gets a Fast Pass actually uses it. I think a huge number would get wasted this way.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with not allowing FastPasses to be giving the day before.... That will lead to a situation where the passes are gone before the park even opens for that day...

And about the heirarchy and preferences for resorts (and even for different resorts) etc... I'm already a passholder, so I already know how it feels to be singled out and slighted..... heh...

YOU HEAR THAT DISNEY... I"M TIRED BEING PUT IN THE BACK OF RESORTS BECAUSE I'M A PASSHOLDER!!

Ok, sorry about that..... I'm fine, really I am.... Smile

Laughing
Incredibles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bring up a good point though. What about the passholders? Where are they in all this? Will they be given the chance to tap in to Resort TV so that they can get fast passes?
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see all the Fastpass scalpers standing around the Disney entrances, now...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the fastpass system should not turn into an alternate way of letting folks buy their way to the front of the line.

You went to an amusement park. That means lines. I'm ok with saying if you are a resort guest you can get fasspasses with a different level of frequency... say you can be allowed to have 2 out at a time, but I can't see getting them the day before. As Incredibles brings up.... it is getting to the point where you have to plan every possible thing. where is the fun of doing something on a whim.

"Great idea. shame you didn't have it a week ago..."
Incredibles

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like Fast Pass the way it is. As someone who undertands how the Parks work and how to maximize my time while there, it has saved me a ton of time. If everyone used it, then it wouldn't be as efficient. But until then, gimmie all the Fast Passes I can get!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: