Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Is Small World "too small" for Mickey Mouse?

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Is Small World "too small" for Mickey Mouse?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would detract. It is a good ride as it is. I don't think adding characters would plus it at all.

I also don't think it would change the draw of the ride. folks who are going to ride it will ride it, those who won't - won't. Adding characters won't change that.

In this case I see nothing to be gained... either Artisticall, Ethetically, or for appeal.
Ellory
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could see it, if it were at the very end of the ride (where they have all the "good-byes" in different languages), and the characters where dressed in a variety of clothes from different countries....waving, or something...it wouldn't be too distracting.

But let's not lose the whole rainforest!!!

I honestly don't see a need for this "update".

Now if they put the Disney Characters in the Carousel of Progress or Hall of Presidents.....that would make sense Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Re-Imagineering blog has been one of the leaders in the backlash or criticism, in regards to the proposed changes to Small World. They have some campaing logos and a good look back at the Rainforst section of the ride. They even have letter from the Blair Family to Disney Execs: http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/
eatmon74
Airline Jet Fuel Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start by saying I love all the art done by Mary Blair. Alice is my favorite Movie. I would love to see these changes. This ride needs some love and attention from WDI. When is the last time you have seen all the Hula girls working? What I have read is that the characters would be in the Mary Blair style too. I think that would be really cool to see. I do not think that the addition would add to rider-ship but did adding Capt Jack or the improvements to the HM really add to the rider ship to those attractions, maybe for the for a few months but I do not think that it has improved or diminished the riders on those attractions or would effect the riders on IASW either. I do think that if Disney were to sink the cash into the new effects then they would be more apt to keep the attraction looking good and that is a plus to any classic attraction that I welcome.

Yes I may have rambled a bit.
JTToad
Curbside Attendant
Curbside Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to be on the side of leaving it as it is. Mary Blair's work is that good that I don't think it needs to be changed. Especially the rainforest bit. Talk about creating a rallying cry for those that don't want it to happen. A major PR nightmare for Disney.

Now, I believe that the new version of Small World that is going into Hong Kong is getting the USA scene and the addition of the other Disney characters in the Mary Blair style. That is a new piece of work and I think that it is completely fine to do it that way. While I do agree with the point in the Blair Family letter, that by adding the characters take away from the stars of the show, i.e. the children of the world, and therefore the really message of the attraction might be lost to people going "OOOoooh there's a cute version of Cinderella!', having one version of this attraction like this isn't the end of the world. I think the fact that the attractions and shows that are at all the parks should be a little different and not just clones, as that is then adds to the insentive to go to those parks. Not like I didn't want to go anyway, but now even more of a reason.

I do, however, think that seeing the Disney characters in the Mary Blair style would be really cool and fun. I think that is one reason why they are doing that over in Hong Kong. It seems that the Asian population have a higher "cute" tolerance then us loud brash Americans. I can see why it might not be as big of an issue in the new park.

Okay, enough of my jibber-jabbering...that was my two cents.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamscape has a quick post regarding the Small World going in at Hong Kong Disneyland... including details on the characters. Incase you didn't know, the "new" stuff in HKDL's version is what may be coming out DL's ride, which is why I wanted to post the information with this thread. It is an international park, but these are the rumored changes coming to DL's version also....

They basically restate what is done in the following article:
Quote:
Hong Kong Disneyland puts local skyline, Chinese opera doll in new show

HONG KONG, March 27 (Xinhua) -- Hong Kong Disneyland will soon put on its own version of the miniature show "It's a Small World," with a unique lady doll in Chinese opera costume and a specially- designed Hong Kong scene featuring Victoria Harbor and the city's landmark skyscrapers, the theme park said Thursday.

"With Hong Kong Disneyland's version of 'It's a Small World,' we had unprecedented opportunity to expand on a classic attraction and blend local, regional and international elements," said David Minichiello, the project's art director.

Minichiello said the new project, a major facility slated for opening on April 28, would have 220 toys and 241 singing figures, including 38 Disney characters distributed across scenes standing for different continents and regions.

The project will have larger Asian scenes than similar projects at other Disneyland theme parks around the globe, although Hong Kong Disneyland itself was small.

A stylized Great Wall and a Chinese opera toy in red traditional gown will appear in the China scene. Hong Kong's Victoria Harbor, landmark buildings including the Bank of China Building and the International Financial Center II will be there, too.

New versions of the theme song, respectively in Mandarin, the Cantonese dialect, Tagalog and Korean, will be added to the Hong Kong version of "It's a Small World." Lyrics of the Cantonese version will be by Hong Kong's popular late author James Wong.

A joint venture between the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government and the United States Walt Disney Company, Hong Kong Disneyland is the smallest among the five Disneyland theme parks around the world.

The park attracted less visitors than it had previously expected in the first two years after its opening in September 2005, leading to less than satisfactory performance and, therefore, pressure on the HKSAR government.

Marketing staff at the park said they had been dedicated to offering immersive, unique experiences for families, as well as people of any generations and ages.

It's a Small World, coming after High School Musical Live and Muppet Mobile Lab, was one of the five new shows and facilities planned for opening at Hong Kong Disneyland in 2008.

Maple Lee, vice president of marketing, said the park recorded double-digit growth in attendance year on year in the past six months.

Total attendance over the past two and half years had exceeded 10 million recently, the park said on its website.

Lee said Walt Disney Company and the HKSAR government were in talks over fund injections in the theme park, adding that Walt Disney "is ready."

Source: Chinaview.cn; http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-03/27/content_7871014.htm

Screamscape also scored some photos from the press event, including the first look at one of the Disney Characters that are being added:

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this a good idea.

I think retrofitting these intoi DL or WDW would be a poor choice, but if you are starting from scratch, why not do it. It doesn't cost any more, it makes it a bit more playful, and doesx not distract from the message.
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite blogs [url=]Disney and more[/url[ has some exclusive videos and photos from the Hong Kong Disneyland's Small World, which is currently in soft openings.

Here is the link: http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2008/04/new-hong-kong-disneyland-its-small.html

It includes some photos and a full ride through video... you can see several of the characters that were added, including Jasmin, Aladdin, Ariel (new under water scene), and even the gang from Nemo... I'm sure there are more, wasn't paying that close of attention...

This should give everyone a good look at how they are going to look after the referb at DL...
eatmon74

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Disneland's IASW looks as good as Hong Kongs after the rehab we will be lucky. From what little of the characters that I saw they were all done tastefully and blended in well.
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the Rainforest!
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should consider make this change to Tokyo, Paris and WDW and leave DL alone.

For several reasons:
It would appease the purests
It would achieve what they want in the ride
It would not modify the Walt' classic from the New York Fair (same as item 1)
and it would give folks visiting a reason to see it to note the differences.. in essence breathing the same new life into it that they were hoping to achieve by changing it.

that would make this a true win/win
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More updates on the characters that were added to the HK's new IASW attraction. The offical Hong Kong Disneyland's website has photos of all of the "new" characters that were added.

http://park.hongkongdisneyland.com/hkdl/html/iasw/en_US/index.html

To be honest, they do look pretty good and they may be right, they may blend in enough that they don't stand out too much and take away from the rest of the attraction. Of course, I also think it is giant marketing ploy for more merchandise. I know at WDW they have been pushing various "cutie" version of characters, this is just another extension of that...

But they do look pretty good.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Discussion Past, Present and Future All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: