Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - We're Cruising in less than 2 months...HELP

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

We're Cruising in less than 2 months...HELP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney Cruise Line
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: We're Cruising in less than 2 months...HELP Reply with quote

Ok, this is not only our first Disney cruise, it's our first cruise ever. I've done a lot of research, booked excursions and special dinner already. The only thing I don't know about are the actual logistics of the cruise.

We're staying in Cape Canaveral the night before the cruise leaves, and the hotel has a shuttle to get us to the port. What time should we head to the port? Are there any do's and don'ts we should be aware of during the arrival and check-in process?

Actually, any tips and help is appreciated.

Let's hear it gang!

And THANKS!

GrumpyDaddy
UAB's 1st Goofy Challenge Finisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you show up at the port and the name of the ship is
The Black Pearl.

I would rethnk your vacation. Very Happy

But at least there should be lots of Rum!!
redbaron314
Air Cargo Agent
Air Cargo Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not like flying dont wait till the last minute cause it can get very hectic around port Canaveral trust me I use to drive to there from orlando international airport and drop people off better yet if its with Disney ask them they should know. I couldnt tell you when cause my clients would fly in then i'd take straight to the port they board and go so i dont know but i would guess at least two to three hours before hand but dont quote me

But yawll enjoy the trip and i'd like to see plenty of pictures ok?

Ich bin der Piraten zu behaupten, was mir jetzt und für immer
kray
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so jealous - you'll have a wonderful time!! Very Happy

Out first Disney Cruise was also our first cruise ever, so we had lots of the same questions.

I would get go the the port to check in sooner rather than later, Just have all your boarding documents with you and a carry-on bag with stuff you'll need through the day. Your cabin may / may not be ready, but who cares??? There's so much to check out and see. Make the most of this day and enjoy evey moment!

One thing I didn't realize until later - on the TV in your cabin there is a channel that shows the view from the bridge - normally just water, but really cool when you are approaching port. So if you are approaching the Bahamas in the early hours of the am, you can watch from your cabin and perhaps enjoy a little room service!!

Be prepared to be pampered!! Order at least one of the "Drink of the Day" so you can bring home the souvenier glass Cool - oh - and speaking of drinks - there's is a frozen drink that's available only on the adult beach at Castaway Cay - forget the name - but it is AMAZING - it get lots of chat on the disboards - I heard its about 1200 calories per drink - but TOTALLY worth it!!

The snorkeling on Castaway Cay is great! There are things in the water to find (urns, a Mickey, etc,) There are bouys in the water to mark their location- that was great fun. We also did the sting ray thing and that was lots of fun. If the weather is rough, too windy, there are some excursions involving watercraft that will get cancelled. no matter, there is more than enough to do.

Have fun!!
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kray! We've booked what we want to do...A pirate treasure hunt in Key West, Dolphin and Aquaventure in Nassau, Stingray adventure, parasailing and jetski's in Castaway Cay, and a dinner in Palo. I saw on the Cruise website that check-in starts at 10:30 and embarkation at 1pm. Does that mean if we check in at 10:30, we can't get on the boat until 1pm?

Another questions is when do I pay for the excursions and tips?

onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutely no tips...but look forward to getting bunches from you when I finally get on my Disney Cruise!

Sounds like you've everything in order & done your research (as always)! Sounds like it will be a GREAT time!!!

: )
kray

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, check-in is the paper part and embarkation is actually getting on board.

We had stayed at AKL the night before and drove over - had to tear my mother-in-law away from the TV and Wimbledon men's final Rolling Eyes The embarkation process had already begun, so we just checked in and got on board.

The debarkation process is very smooth. I highly recommend using a porter to collect your bags and get you through customs.

Ahh, tips. Its sounds confusing when you read about them, but its pretty straightforward. You can do it yourself with envelopes or, as we did, on the last full day of the cruise, you can go to a desk and take care of all your tips at once. There are plenty of announcements about that. There is the "standard" amount and then you can add on if you like. We received excellent service all around, but especially from our cabin steward and from our dining team so we added to their tips. We wanted for nothing during our trip.

One thing that amazes me about Disney is how smootly its day to day operations go. The cruise line is no exception. Watching these folks service the cabins - in such small hallways - is a sight to behold!

Sounds like you have everything all set, but do take a few moments each day to look over the daily itinerary so you don't miss stuff.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allearsnet had what looked like a pretty comprehensive guide to taking a disney cruise, might give that a read.
sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key West is a lot of fun. I don't know how long your pirate treasure hunt is, but if you're into pirates, take the time to check out Pirate Soul Museum http://www.piratesoul.com/ It's not far from Mallory Square, where you disembark. Have a great trip!
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got our final documents today. WE ARE SO EXCITED! We even broke out the luggage for the trip. This is unusual since we normally pack either the night before we leave, or that day. Honestly, I'm ready to pack now!

But I have one question...dining and attire. I know what it says we can't wear, but what CAN we wear? Are jeans, sneakers and tee-shirts OK? can deb wear Capri's? Is there anything else we shouldn't wear to dinner?

Thanks gang!

onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a cruise!!! I want to see some dress up at dinner photos of my favourite Disney family!!

(tee hee, I know one dude who's grumbling at me RIGHT NOW!)

daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onecutemoose wrote:
It's a cruise!!! I want to see some dress up at dinner photos of my favourite Disney family!!

(tee hee, I know one dude who's grumbling at me RIGHT NOW!)

grumble grumble grumble Wink

sarah91182
Ticket Agent
Ticket Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveypoo wrote:
But I have one question...dining and attire. I know what it says we can't wear, but what CAN we wear? Are jeans, sneakers and tee-shirts OK? can deb wear Capri's? Is there anything else we shouldn't wear to dinner?

I tended to dress up a little for most dinners. I wore jeans one night, but they we a very dark denim, and I dressed them up with a button down shirt and heels. After spending time in the pools/beach/ports, I wanted to clean up for dinner and the evening activities on the boat.
Figmentathm
UAB's 1st Boston Marathon Finisher

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time DP wore a tie, he didn't move because he thought he was hitched to something.

Deb, good luck cleaning him up. he is still a mechanic at heart.
kray

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveypoo wrote:
We got our final documents today. WE ARE SO EXCITED! We even broke out the luggage for the trip. This is unusual since we normally pack either the night before we leave, or that day. Honestly, I'm ready to pack now!

Thanks gang!

Just be prepared for Pirate night!! Arrrr I'm a Pirate

Seriously, this is still Disney, so you will see a whole range of dress. Of course Deb can wear capris!! Jeans are fine, too. In general, folks make a little effort to dress for dinner, but wear what you are comfortable / happy in. My husband wore golf / polo type shirts and khakis to dinner (except Palo)

Our first night was Animator's Pallette - seemed to be more casual - maybe because it was the first night and folks were too busy checking out the ship to spend much time getting ready for dinner.

Lumiere's / Triton's (depending which ship you are on) seemed a little more dressy

Parrot Cay - seemed the most casual - more of a Florida themed restaurant

Palo - definitely dress up.

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disney Cruise Line All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: