Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Please Help!! Taking emergency trip and need info!

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Please Help!! Taking emergency trip and need info!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuberhead
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Please Help!! Taking emergency trip and need info! Reply with quote

HI everybody!! I love the new look of the site(been gone for a while), absolutely fantastic.

For years I have put off a trip to DL Embarassed and when I heard that POTC was changing it put me into action. I must see the original version of POTC!!! So, I am planning a last minute trip leaving 3-1 and coming back on 3-5. With time being so limited and my knowledge of DL being nil, I am pleading, nay begging, for some advice from my fellow Utilidorians. To make things easier I am posting a list of questions, any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. The original POTC!!!! HM!!!! MR. TOAD!!!!!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

1) Hotels: Disney, good neighbor, or offsite? Are the good neighbors within walking distance?
2) Airports: LAX, John Wayne, etc. How is the travel from the airports to the park?
3) Is the Downtown Disney area similar to WDW's(meaning free Razz )?
4) I can't think of anything else at the moment, too excited. lol. Any general tips would be great.

Thanks Again!
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Please Help!! Taking emergency trip and need info! Reply with quote

tuberhead wrote:
1) Hotels: Disney, good neighbor, or offsite? Are the good neighbors within walking distance?

I prefer the Disneyland Hotel, but SOME of the Good Neighbor hotels are good too, but be aware that "walking distance" to some means 2-3 miles. If you're looking for a place to store your stuff and sleep at night, there are a number of good choices within yards of the main gate.

tuberhead wrote:
2) Airports: LAX, John Wayne, etc. How is the travel from the airports to the park?

LAX is a TOUGH ride, but SNA (John Wayne) is pretty easy, about 20 minutes. Ontario (ONT) is also an option over LAX.

tuberhead wrote:
3) Is the Downtown Disney area similar to WDW's(meaning free Razz )?

Yes it's free, and it's "kinda like it", but there is no Pleasure Island, no DisneyQuest, etc. It's a smaller version, but has some nice things.

tuberhead wrote:
4) I can't think of anything else at the moment, too excited. lol. Any general tips would be great.

Hit the important stuff early, use Fastpass, and have a great time!

Tach
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotels: For non-Disney hotels, I'd recommend the Ramada Maingate, or the Fairfield Marriot. Both are on Harbor Blvd, and are 10 minutes walking distance to the park gates. Both are a good value, and relatively easy to get reservations for.

Airports: I'd go with John Wayne, personally, because it's closer. But- prices might be higher because it's not as big as LAX. Check listings carefully.

Itinerary: What DP said. You're picking a good time during the off season, so it shouldn't be as crowded. But- make sure you hit your priorities early. Don't want to miss out on anything, do ya?
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I will be missing out on one small, insignificant, minor thing...................The Haunted Mansion Crying or Very sad . Its not scheduled to be up until March 10th. Missing the HM is almost a deal buster, almost. The only upside is that it gives me a reason for going back later in the year. Very Happy
Thanks for the info!

Oh yea, one more thing. How long does it take to get from lax to DLR? How much does the taxi ride cost?
Tach
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuberhead wrote:
Oh yea, one more thing. How long does it take to get from lax to DLR? How much does the taxi ride cost?

On a good day, you can get from LAX to Anaheim in about 30 minutes. On most days, it''l will take you at least an hour, depending on the time of day.

Not sure about taxi rates. I'm guessing it would be somewhere between "expensive" and "hella expensive". It'd probably be cheaper to get a rental for a few days.
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuberhead wrote:

Anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours. If there is NO traffic, it's a pretty easy ride, but this being Southern California, NO traffic is not normal.

If you go to www.allearsnet.com, they have transportation costs and ideas. It should be helpful.

onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to stay at the Park Inn and Suites right across the street fromthe park...stayed at the Tropicanna last time and it is nice too....I actually went into most of the nearby hotels to check them all out...some are definitely better than others... I like being right across the street. If you want a bit cheaper and very nice--wuiet too, Walnut Inn is on Walnut ans they use the ART system...so you'd have to buy the three day bus ticket (I think that's like $6) but I don't really remember.

I only flew into LAX once...it is quite a drive and the price for shuttle is higher--so the saving s aren't that great. ONT is a cheaper airline ticket--but the shuttle is $40. SNA is an easy airport and i think the Supershuttle is still only like $15 one way. (you can check that out online)

Great time to go...right before the big spring break rushes. My best tip is use the FastPass system...go first thing to get a FP for space or something that will go more quickly later..and get another ASAP. I've found that Buzz FPs are available longer through the day than Space and other Mountains...oh, and BTMRR....I haven't needed at FP there for a long time...it is better to get one for another ride.

Also, wait to ride the Matterhorn...it is just great!

: )
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuberhead wrote:
Well, I will be missing out on one small, insignificant, minor thing...................The Haunted Mansion Crying or Very sad . Its not scheduled to be up until March 10th. Missing the HM is almost a deal buster, almost. The only upside is that it gives me a reason for going back later in the year. Very Happy
Thanks for the info!

Chances are it won't even make that deadline....With last weeks standing there was an overlap due to the extensive work the Mansion is undergoing.
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the shuttles from the airport. They are MUCH cheaper than Taxis.

We have stayed at the Desert Inn Suites across from the main gate. Nice rooms, great prices.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

though if you're looking for nastalgia, there are several hotels in the area that the 1950s forgot to take with them. Complete with Toggle Switches (not light switches) for heat lamps, Pre Remote Control (dial) Televisions, and unknown Speaker PA systems embedded in the Ceiling. Quite a site, but I dig that retro sort of thing, as long as it's clean.

-D
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theEpiphany wrote:
though if you're looking for nastalgia, there are several hotels in the area that the 1950s forgot to take with them. Complete with Toggle Switches (not light switches) for heat lamps, Pre Remote Control (dial) Televisions, and unknown Speaker PA systems embedded in the Ceiling. Quite a site, but I dig that retro sort of thing, as long as it's clean.

-D

If you're interested in a place like this, let either DP or I know. We've stayed at one of them a number of times and the price isn't that bad.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
aprildecember
Muse of Epic UAB
Muse of Epic UAB

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

long beach airport has way fewer direct options and is often pricier, but it's a pretty straight shot on surface streets from there to the resort if you can manage it (and it takes like 25 minutes...at least, that's how long it took when i was living in lakewood). the airport dead ends the street that becomes ball road at the orange county line.
tuberhead
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much everyone. We put the info to good use and decided on flying into John Wayne, taking the super shuttle($20/person), and staying at the Anaheim Fairfield. I told the CM who booked everything for me that we were looking for a hotel with a short walk and he said that the Fairfield was 243 feet away. I love accuracy!!! Razz

First thing Monday morning I a running out to purchase some guide books, plenty of studying to do!!

BTW the official date for the HM's reopening is March 15th.
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're CM is probably right on the money about how far you'll be from the park...You should be able to see the top of Space Mountain, Matterhorn depending on the angle and maybe even the Toon hills...but in order to get into the park you'll either need to walk down the street a little way. It's not bad at all...though at midnight--I think any walk can seem long Wink I've stayed at the hotel next door (to the south) a number of times...and always made it back and forth with ease!

Hope you can pick up some great info to finish your planning...what an exciting time!!!

: ) deb
Tach
Airport Utility Worker
Airport Utility Worker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fairfield is a good choice. Very short walk (no Bataan death march) convenient food (McDonalds and Millies) and fairly quiet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Disneyland Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: