Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Need Help IDing WDW Disney Park Music

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Need Help IDing WDW Disney Park Music
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Music Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Need Help IDing WDW Disney Park Music Reply with quote

Hello all, on one of my old Disney park recordings from the late 80's/early 90's, I found a Hooray for Hollywood stage show - If someone could confirm, I think that this show preceeded Beauty and the Beast on stage. It featured a bit part with Donald Duck as a movie producer ("Where's my assistant!?"), some popular movie songs ("Fame", "Footloose" w/Tigger, "What A Feeling", the Beverly Hills Cop Theme, and the Indiana Jones Theme), some other goofy character (a horse?) singing "Back in the Saddle Again", and Puttin' on the Ritz. Does anyone know if this is really where this is from? Also, is this on UAB anywhere? I did all searches on possible titles, but didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
onecutemoose
Bouncing Between Wonderland & Neverland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty fun recording--wherever it's from!

: )
Sweetums
Airplane Mechanic
Airplane Mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hooray for Hollywood show was the first 'stage show' at the Disney/MGM Studios. It was performed at the Hollywood Bowl Theater on Hollywood Blvd. This was long before Sunset Blvd. even existed, and was located at what is now the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Sunset Blvd. (Right in between the Brown Derby and the row of shops on HW Blvd.) The show lasted for a couple of years, and then was replaced by 'Dick Tracy'. The DT show came out a few months before the movie was released, and closed a couple of months after the movie was pronounced a flop. The Hooray for Hollywood show was then revamped and a few new numbers were added to include Breathless Mahoney from Dick Tracy, and Miss Piggy had a number too. That lasted until Disney was ready to release Beauty & the Beast.
Sounds like an excellent find! That was even before my time at the studios, so I never got a copy.
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info Sweetums!

That's what I love about the members of UAB... they always have the answers and love to share them Smile
kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have another one. There used to be a movie somewhere in MGM (I think) that featured Michael Eisner as your host. I have a tiny clip of Eisner talking to the audience, when the Chernoborg from Fantasia stands up and extends its wings like it does in the movie. Eisner yells at it "Would you mind, you're blocking our view!". The Chernoborg replies "Oooh, sorry Mr. Eisner". Where was this movie from?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that part of the Walt Disney Story...i don't remember Chernabog, though. Good questions! Great thing--like Dave said--there are plenty of fols around who know their Disney!

kmiller15211
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was from the Walt Disney story. This was from the late 80's/early 90's. The Chernaborg was the devil-like thing from Fantasia that raised the spirits from atop the mountain during the "Night on Bald Mountain" segment.

Thanks for the try, though Very Happy
onecutemoose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmiller15211 wrote:
I don't think it was from the Walt Disney story. This was from the late 80's/early 90's. The Chernaborg was the devil-like thing from Fantasia that raised the spirits from atop the mountain during the "Night on Bald Mountain" segment.

Thanks for the try, though Very Happy

Yah, I know Chernabog..thats why I thought it didn't fit.

Do you have an audio tapr from this as well, or is it just a fond memory?

theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not DIRECTLY from MGM it's from the Wonderful World of Disney on Television.
Airport Police
Airport Police

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, they must've had a montage of clips from the Wonderful World of Disney that they were showing in MGM somewhere. It was from a tape recorded at the theme parks, for sure. It was followed by the Great Movie Ride on the tape that I have, so I would imagine that it was from some theatre in close proximity to the GMR.
SGT623
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, this was 100% in D/MGM. It was a very well done little show and Chernabog was definetley in it. The first joke started out having Eisner with a Mickey Mouse watch on and Mickey with an Eisner watch on. I always made it a point to see this show becuase it was so well done. I think it went away some time in the mid 90's. A friend told me it played at the end of the animation tour, but I thought I remembered it playing somewhere else....animation fits though.
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right...but it was originally shown on the Wonderful World of Disney...It was the intro to something, I'll be darned if I can remember what it was though. As I said it wasnt DIRECTLY for MGM (that opening segment gag anyway).

I want to say it was part of the opening intro to the MGM premiere (Which it wasnt) or the celebration of 40 years of Disney Television Magic or something of that nature.

The only thing I can think of was a feature short that showed in the parks on how Mickey got his start by coming to Hollywood and getting his big break (he auditions and does shakespeare among other things) The Director/Talent Scout or whatever was Mel Brooks. Eventually Mickey would meet with Walt Disney (who was played by Roy E. Disney).

I know I've seen the opening segment on the Wonderful World of Disney way back when....It's taped somewhere but I havent a clue where it is.
Airplane Mechanic
Airplane Mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this audio clip does not ring a bell with me. But back in the early 90's when the cueline for the Backlot Tour lasted forever and a day, they had dozens of "Making-Of" snipets that played continuously on overhead monitors throughout the course of the cue. This had a lot of random stuff from animation to the current movies of today. Including bits from Star Wars, Wizard of Oz, nostril Tracy, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Muppets, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Swing Kids, Newsies, etc.
So it's possible that one of the Eisner moments from World of Disney was broadcasted on these monitors as part of the cue-line entertainment. As I said, a lot of those clips were very random.
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theEpiphany wrote:
Right...but it was originally shown on the Wonderful World of Disney....

Are you 100% sure...beyond a shadow of a doubt sure? I seem to remember seeing it once on WWOD too, but I thought it was made for the park and then shown on TV later.
TTiiMM
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember seeing it, but I *do* know that Bruce Broughton composed the score for this pre-show. The pre-show called "Mickey's Audition" was for a Disney-MGM talent audition show.

-Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> General Disney Music Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: