Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Interesting Disney Hollywood Studios Article

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Interesting Disney Hollywood Studios Article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Interesting Disney Hollywood Studios Article Reply with quote

Jim Hill has an interesting article about Universal Studios reactions to Disney Hollywood Studios name change... Including details regarding the much rumored Halloween hard ticket event at MGM/DHS (lots and lots of information about this, originating from a Disney Insider)...

Interesting read: article
daveypoo
Commander in Chief #1
Commander in Chief #1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting article. USO is reaching to think they're going to capitalize on a name change, and the Harry Potter and Simpson's lands sound cool, but knowing how things go over at USO, I'm figuring they are going to be semi-operational for quite some time.

Then again, loading DHS with Pixar rides isn't going to make matters any better.

daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Simpsons ride will ever open... they pulled tarps down today, nothing has changed on the building's exterior yet....

and the Harry Potter land will take close to 5 years to become completely done... 2009 for some of it (probably for just the few things they can "retheme") and then 2010/2011 for everything else....

Only Universal could think they could capitalize on Disney changing the name of one of their parks... like someone would actually confuse something Disney with Universal... Rolling Eyes

and I don't think DHS is going to become Pixar based, right now it's just one ride with rumors for a possible second one.... It's not like a whole land is being Pixar themed (Cars Land at DCS)... and those rumors go along with the rumored Lucasland (please, please, please) and the NBC ride, think the park is going to be well rounded...

I think Disney is doing this right, at least publically.... again, they are concentrating on themselves and not trying to out do or be better than Universal. While Universal is publically saying they are trying to out do Disney, it makes them sound like they are behind and just trying to keep up, kinda like the blatant shots they take at Disney in their rides.....

Universal is better when they are just doing things, without sounding like they are playing catchup.... Which reminds me, need to make time to head over to Grinchmas (which is back again this year!)...
MikeA
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Universal is going to lose it's shirt on the Harry Potter stuff. Dont get me wrong, I like Harry Potter, but I just dont know if they can invest so much into a single character, and I dont know if it has the power to captivate generations of readers/movie goers like some of the classic Disney animation has. I feel the same about the Disney dedicating such a large area to the movie Cars, in California Adventure.

I havent invested alot of time thinking about it, but I think that the whole thing just makes me feel like I'm being SOLD something with a bit too much pressure being applied.
WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of with MikeA on this one. I read Harry, got the books when they came out... But there is a big difference in reading a series as it is being written, and reading a series that came out years ago.

Part of the allure was the waiting for the next installment which kids in the future will not have to do. they will just read them all in a row. The stories will be fun, but I think some of the allure will be reduced.

On the positive for Universal. If Harry can have staying power to allow them to recoup expenses, and then tanks, they can always swap it out. If it was the mouse, no one would let them swap it out.

I'd like to say I'll go see it, but a trip there for just the 1 "land" seems expensive.
blinkereye123
Airplane Inspector
Airplane Inspector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. When it comes to competition among theme parks I guess I'm kinda partial to the fact that, being on the west coast, I've always had my pick of trying out and comparing the best, (and not so best), of all kinds of theme experiences. As far as the whole 'Disney vs. Universal' ruckus I gotta say that, out here at least, it's never really been an issue. I guess just the amount of parks within a 50 mile radius kinda keeps the whole competitive thing in check. About whether or not "Potter"or "Pixar" will eventually come out on top, at least it's more incentive to give both parks a tryout, (if one can afford it). Let's just hope that both companies don't go overboard and try to outdo each other to the point of being ridiculous; that would ruin business for everybody. Well, until later, peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: