Alt Text 6
Navigation

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting :: View topic - Morning Power Outage at Epcot

Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Memberlist Profile Log in to check your private messages

Morning Power Outage at Epcot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daguru
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Morning Power Outage at Epcot Reply with quote

Quote:
Tripped circuit breaker blamed for power outage at Epcot

Sara K. Clarke and Jason R. Garcia | Sentinel Staff Writers
3:07 PM EDT, March 28, 2008

A circuit breaker tripped at Disney's Epcot Center this morning, causing parts of the park to lose power and some rides to close down temporarily.

The breaker tripped around 11:30 a.m. and caused the entire park to experience a sudden change in voltage, much like when lights flicker during a thunderstorm, Disney spokewoman Kim Prunty said.

"Most attractions are back up and running at this time (about 2 p.m.)," said Prunty, who also said that all power was restored within about an hour. Disney did not know what caused the breaker to trip.

Although the power outage was limited to parts of Future World and the main entrance, many rides stopped during the surge and had to go through a restarting process. At 1 p.m., attractions such as Spaceship Earth, Journey Into Imagination, Test Track and Mission Space were still listed as "down" on a park board that updates visitors on the status of rides.

Tom Connelly, of New York, said he was waiting for the Living with the Land ride with his family of five when the line stopped moving. They eventually got out of line and went looking for another attraction.

"We were walking around from ride to ride," he said. "Everything was closed."

"We saw the monorail, and it was stopped," said Bobbi Baessler, a park visitor from Chicago. "We were waving to all the people. At least we weren't stuck up there."

Baessler, who was at Epcot with her family, was among park visitors who lined up at guest services to request refunds or tickets to transfer to a different Disney park. Prunty said the park was dealing with customers on an individual basis, "working out ways to make sure they have a positive experience."

Source: Orlando Sentinel; http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-bk-epcot032808,0,7915209.story

WDWFan
Pilot
Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. I hope they managed to get everyone off the rides and monorail quickly.

But, they will have a memory to remember for a long time.
MikeA
Airline Food and Beverage
Airline Food and Beverage

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the way I always look at it too WDWFan...
bad weather or problems like no electricity always make it more memorable. Like the Bears game at Soldier Field, when it was like 32 1/2 degrees, and raining and we almost froze to death (thank goodness for peppermint Schnapps). Or the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland with Epiphany and Allison, that stalled out for like 15 minutes, and we thougth we were going to get a walking tour out of the ride. You cant control events like that, so you might as well learn to live with them and just incorparate them into the memory of the event.

Besides, I don't think even a power outage would ruin a trip to WDW for me. Smile
jahosifatz
Business Class Ticket Holder
Business Class Ticket Holder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine being stuck on Soarin'
zeppelindude
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahosifatz wrote:

I would imagine with rides liek that they would have an emergancy power supply that could get the cars down if the ride stalled.
dznyfn34
Parking Lot Attendant
Parking Lot Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jahosifatz wrote:

That would be something!!!
theEpiphany
Gate Agent
Gate Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeppelindude wrote:
jahosifatz wrote:

I would imagine with rides liek that they would have an emergancy power supply that could get the cars down if the ride stalled.

It's happened before at DCA....
Passenger Service Agent
Passenger Service Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theEpiphany wrote:
zeppelindude wrote:
jahosifatz wrote:

It's happened before at DCA....

Really? I have never heard of that happening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Utilidors Audio Broadcasting Forum Index -> Walt Disney World Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: